Thursday Doors: France

Today, for Thursday Doors I thought we would visit some little villages in France!

The Hilltown of Seguret, Provence, France
The Hilltown of Seguret, Provence, France

Chamonix, France

To discover remarkable architecture some times you must get way off the beaten track…. trekking to the village of La Rochepot, France (population less than 200) ……….definitely my kind of place……the smaller the better…. we came here  in 2006, to see the fortress/chateau.

The Village of La Rochepot, France

Château de La Rochepot is a rocky peak fortress, built by Regnier Pot in the 15th century. Pot was a crusader, Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece, master of the court of Phillip II the Bold, Duke of Burgundy. In later years the castle was passed to the Montmorency family and Cardinal Retz.

Château de la Rochepot,  La Rochepot, France

After the French Revolution, the castle was re-named the Château de la Roche Fidèle (Castle of the Faithful Mountain) It was declared  national property and the new owner demolished many parts of the castle. He sold it off, stone by stone………It could have fallen into complete demise, but in 1893, Madame Carnot, the wife of Sadi Carnot, the President of France (1887-1894) bought the ruins and offered it as a gift to her son, Colonel Sadi Carnot. He restored it according to the original style of the 15th century!

It took more than 25 years to realize his ambitious goal. The reconstruction was based on data from archives, and archaeological excavations in order to comply to full historical authenticity………600 hundred people from near and far were involved with the construction work. Death came to the vineyards from the epidemic of phylloxera, however the Château became world famous due to its uniqueness, elegance and history!

Château de la Rochepot, La Rochepot, France

I will just show the outside photos today, but the inside was fabulous as well! The shiny tiles on that roof are painted in a special paint to make them look like copper!

Château de la Rochepot, La Rochepot, France
Chateau de la Rochepot, Rochepot, France

Sadly………. A further note: Château de la Rochepot went up for sale by the Carnot family in 2015…..much to the dismay of the villagers, who all played a part in either the ancestry or work at the Chateau. It was hoped to be sold to a family that would maintain the historical background and elegance…..It was listed as perfect for a winery, as it is along the French Wine Trail………although it is not on the main roads of that Trail……nor is there a vineyard there now….       One must be wanting to find this place and get off the main roads and explore!

A further update about the Château de la Rochepot……….it was sold in 2018 for 3 million euro to a family from the Ukraine or Lithuania…..they did not want their nationality identified. They intend to live there part of the year and keep it open as a historical monument, as it has been …..that is all the info I could update you with….my research also finds that 75% of French castles and prestigious residences (and probably this is true in other countries as well) are bought by wealthy foreigners…..

Further research reveals; the Château de la Rochepot was closed  in 2020, due to a judicial investigation! Oh my goodness, I wonder what that was about?

Movin’ on to another village……

Ribeauville, France
Ribeauville, France
Riquewihr, France
La Petite-Pierre, France

I hope you have enjoyed my Doors today!

Thursday Doors

Follow our new leader, Dan, to see doors from all over the world, or add your doors too, look HERE!

20 Comments Add yours

1. Alison says:

Yes thanks I did enjoy the visit
    Those villages are just divine

Liked by 1 person

2. margaret21 says:

Despite the wonderful doors, it was the Rocheport roofs that my eye was drawn to – love those Bourgogne style many-coloured tiles. Great post!

Liked by 1 person

3. BeckyB says:

oh this is such a fabulous post. Glorious part of France, and how intriguing about the investigation.

Liked by 1 person

1. I have a feeling that since the WORLD SHUT DOWN in 2020 that either the owners were unable to get to France to enjoy their Chateau and/or no revenue was brought in and payments were not made or taxes not paid………something has gone wrong for sure!

4. restlessjo says:

I love your French villages. Always make me think we should have made the effort 🙂 🙂

5. Sheree says:

We have a wealth of gorgeous and/or interesting doors in France

6. Sue says:

I was scrolling through these, and thought the second one looked like Seguret, and sure enough, it was!!

7. Pádraig says:

I’m admiring the photograph of Requewihr…. The flower pots seem to be wrapped in something. Like a cloth material or such….

1. Pádraig, those are grape vines and they wrap them in burlap……..In the US some of our trees come this way from the nurseries too. I don’t know if they take the burlap off before planting or not. On some trees we do and others not. I think the burlap keeps the roots from drying out……Cady

Liked by 1 person

1. Jo Shafer says:

Yes, it does. Trees are shipped that way, too, and usually are planted with the burlap snipped here and there to loosen it. Then the whole wrapped bundle is placed in the prepared planting hole and thoroughly watered, eventually to be covered in soil, watered again, and mulched. (No, I didn’t do any of that; I just watched the landscapers do that when we moved to a treeless lot some 45 years ago.)

8. Toonsarah says:

I love these little villages and especially your featured shot 🙂 The chateau looks lovely too – what a shame it seems to be going through some traumatic times (but then, aren’t we all?!)

Liked by 2 people

9. Beautiful, the little towns look like places that belong in fairy tales.

Liked by 2 people

10. Dan Antion says:

I’m so glad you were willing to get off the main road, and take us along with you. I gave up trying to pick a favorite, as there are so many beautiful ones in this post. I love the castle and the story. I hope it has a happy ending. I also really like the blue building with the well and flowers out front. That is a very nice photo for spring.

Liked by 2 people

11. What a fabulous post, the photographs are wonderful. Thanks for the historical information, too. I really enjoyed this.

Liked by 2 people

12. That looks a wonderful place to visit.

Liked by 2 people

13. slfinnell says:

Something tells me you will be keeping tabs on the latest with that castle. I would definitely be interested. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

14. Gorgeous doors that make me miss my yearly trip to France even more. Although not doors, those Burgundian roofs are fantastic!

janet

Liked by 2 people

15. Timothy says:

Those are awesome doors. Great finds.

Liked by 1 person

16. Joyce says:

Thanks for all the beautiful doors and the history. Gorgeous!!

17. Lovely post, and my, the photos of the villages and chateau are just amazing! I love he vibrant colours of the buildings. Thank you for a lovely post.